- Richard White, “What is Spatial History?” The Spatial History Project, (2010) [pdf]
- Edward L. Ayers & Scott Nesbit, “Seeing Emancipation: Scale and Freedom in the American South,” Journal of the Civil War Era, Vol 1 No 1 (2011): 3-24 [pdf]
- Project: Visualizing Emancipation
- Stephen Robertson, “Putting Harlem on the Map,” in Writing History in the Digital Age, ed. Jack Dougherty and Kristen Nawrotzki (2013)
- Project: Digital Harlem
- Anne Knowles, “A Cutting-Edge Second Look at the Battle of Gettysburg,” Smithsonian Magazine (2013)
- Cameron Blevins, “Space, Nation, and the Triumph of Region: A View of the World from Houston,” Journal of American History, Vol 101 No 1 (2014): 122-147
- Online companion: Mining and Mapping the Production of Space
- Tim Hitchcock, “Place and the Politics of the Past,” (2012)
- Explore other mapping projects:
- Explore maps in the Rumsey Map Collection and view in Google Maps.
- Creating maps from historical data.